Thursday, September 26, 2019

Bullet Journals

My friend started a bullet journal.  Or, more specifically, she started a journal that has an index.  She's not using the regular task identification and bringing forward important items, which is a big part of bullet journaling. 

Her journal interests me, because the task-focused nature of bullet journals always got to me.  I like having lots of blank pages, and am growing to like the idea of an indexed journal, generally.  I've been using an indexed journal for the webinars I do for professional development.  I'm going to fill the index page before I fill the journal, though.  I didn't calculate how many pages I'd need to fill per index entry to make it work. 

And now that I'm filling my creative writing/adventure journal again from the back, the number of topics seems to be growing.  Should the topic be "Numenera" or "characters"/"stories"/"ideas" or something else?  That's where the index comes in.  How much division should it have?  Maybe for characters, it could be further broken down into characters from the country vs. cities? 

I also like that an indexed journal could be filled with whatever you'd like that can go on paper.  Stories, Quotes, Thinking Notes, Doodles, Pictures, Hopes.  But I don't like that you need to have a place and time dedicated to work on them.  My most productive times are on the bus or at lunch, because the rest of my time is dedicated.  But the bus is jostling, so writing doesn't work.  And lunch isn't great, either because its so short. 

I've also gotten scared off from most journaling because the examples I've seen are so beautiful and functional.  I couldn't do that!  Unless I tried and iterated until I was better.... 

Anyway, I don't think I want to do a new Journal, but it's really cool that my friend is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment