Wednesday, November 6, 2019

If/Then Planning

Gollwitzer's If/Then Tactics (or "Implementation Intentions") - a short statement that starts with a trigger that often leads you to fail, and then the plan for what you will do if that situation arises.  

"fully understand how you often fail and create a plan for what you’ll do when a specific scenario comes up."
 Important Points:

  • The more difficult the long-term goal, the better it works.   
  • The more issues the subject has with self control, the better it works. 
  • Envision yourself taking the desired action.
Examples:
  • If I go to the mall, then I will avoid the shoe store.
  • If I end up in the shoe store, then I will not buy anything.
  • If I go to Amazon, then I will only buy things I need.
Steps for Creating If/Then Statements:
  1.  One habit at a time.
  2. Set a target goal.
  3. Create mini-goals.
  4. Set a Baseline
  5. Spitball ideas.
  6. Track your bad habit.
  7. Develop a Replacement Habit
  8.  Set a firm start date.
  9. Use failures to refine the if-then plan.
After reading this 9-step process, this seems like something I would use when working on changing habits, which I wrote about yesterday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment