Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Modern Principles of Shaping - 8. Keep your attention on your learner!

I'm writing a 10 part blog post where I discuss the Modern Principles of Shaping by Karen Pryor, to help solidify them in my mind. 

8.       Keep your attention on your learner. Interrupting a training session gratuitously by taking a phone call, chatting, or doing something else that can wait often cause learners to lose momentum and get frustrated by the lack of information. If you need to take a break, give the animal a “goodbye present,” such as a small handful of treats.

  1. I'm spending a lot of time making this one happen.  I do get distracted sometimes, but most of the time I feel like I'm watching the learner more than anything else. 
  2. I don't interrupt a training session.  Instead I end it.  Not sure if this is better, but having a short training session has always been a better choice than having one that in some way is inferior. 
  3. The learner can get frustrated in a lot of ways, but not having me pay attention isn't one of them.  I'm glad I'm following this already!
  4. Should the goodbye present be a C/T - a jackpot?  That seems like a better idea than just giving out a bunch of treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment